Saturday 18 April 2015

Portfolio-Influential Event



            Losing my mother to cancer in 2003 was influential to me as I discovered my passion to become a pharmaceutical researcher. I was 8 years old, and my mother was 35 years old at that time. I was told that my mother had been suffering from cancer, and after approximately 7 months, cancer took my mother away from me.

            I did not know what type of cancer my mother suffered from, and how torturous it was for her. All I knew was cancer could not be cured. As I grew up, I learnt more about anatomy and physiology, and I learnt how “cancer” initiated and impacted human bodies. Yet, the knowledge that I had acquired about cancer from science lessons and articles never included the complete cure to cancer. When I was 14 years old, an anti-cancer drug was introduced and scientists proclaimed that although it could destroy the mutated cells; , it also killed the hosts’ cells.

            When I was 16 years old, I faced a problem: I had to choose to enter either the science or the arts stream. After contemplating how the chemotherapy was ineffective and caused my mother to suffer more, and that the anti-cancer drug caused a huge adverse effect, I decided to enroll in the Pharmacy, hoping to contribute to the cancer cure someday. Keeping the faith in myself, I’m now in the pharmaceutical field, and I believe that, someday, knowledge and passion will help me come up with the next cancer treatment with optimum therapeutic effects and minimum adverse effect.

(257 words)

1 comment:

  1. This is an inspiring story, Elaine. It must be indescribably hard for a small girl to comprehend her mother's passing. You are to be admired for using that catastrophic event for motivation to work in pharmacology. You have my utmost respect! All the best as you work toward your goals!

    ReplyDelete