Wednesday 15 April 2015

Critical Reflection



I was very shocked when I was informed to attend ES1102, as I thought this module is nothing but just a waste of time. I thought I would not be able to learn much from this module.

When I first came to the class, I was asked to write a blog about my English language journey, followed my first peer review that I ever give to someone in my life. After that, I wrote a summary, a reader response, an influential event, an essay and now I am working on my last academic writing in this module, which is a critical reflection.

Throughout all my academic writings in this module, my tutor, Mr. Brad gave me feedback in a very formal way. The way he gave the comments and feedback was by inserting them into my writing. It was very useful and helpful as it helped me to visualize better, and I know accurately what the parts to improve are.

My friends gave feedback too, in an informal way. These comments showed me that my mistakes were very serious.The reason why we were allocated into this module is that there is still room for us to improve our English language. Based on the amount of feedback they gave me, it alarmed me that I really have to take more effort to improve my English.

Both the tutor’s and peers’ review pointed out some mistakes that I did not know. For example, run-on sentences, I did not realize and was not informed by my primary, secondary and high school teachers that I have such a serious problem on this. The more terrifying is: this problem has a great impact on my academic writings’ flow and organization.

I thought I did a fairly good job at writing, previously. However, after reading others’ writing and others’ comments for me, then only I realize I still need a huge improvement.

I did know there were problems in my thesis statements, but I could not really identify well so I posted and hoped others could help me to point them out clearly, however the peers’ review did not succeed in pointing them out so that is the only thing that I think the reviews did not help me.

But now I know my disadvantages and I accepted peers’ and tutor’s comments, they are really helpful to me. I have learnt some common mistakes from other comments on my peers’ blogs too. Even though I did not make such mistakes, but it helps to remind me.

After attending this module, I am aware of my weaknesses and I will now try to improve on my vocabulary by using the Sarus, try to write a more organized essay by repeatedly reading and editing and try not to make those mistakes even in other classes or even when I am having a conversation with other people.

I hope this experience and my efforts to change can help me to achieve better essay writing and I hope I can deliver my ideas better and make my thesis statements sound more convincing in my future academic writings.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Elaine, for this honest self reflection. You do a good job describing your entering this module and then the background of the review process in ES1102, and finally detailing the way that you experienced this process through giving and receiving feedback. I can sympathize with your situation since you are one of the few students in my classes who did not attend JC or Poly in Singapore. Honestly, considering that, I think you've done a good job and you have shown a bright smile in the process. Thank you for all your hard work, and best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete